Twitter Marketing: The Overall Principle to Keep in Mind

This is a continuation of the post: Exposure Marketing with The Masquerade Crew.

So, I've blogged about this site's traffic and what an author might expect from the initial exposure of a promo post. But what about long term? As I've stated before, our advertising plans extend your exposure over a long period of time, but before I get to that, let's examine Twitter Marketing a little closer.

The Right and Wrong of Twitter Marketing


Just about all of our traffic comes from Twitter, so my goal in 2013 is to focus on Twitter Marketing. A lot of people say it's stupid to market a book on Twitter. Well, the way some people do it, it absolutely is stupid. There is a right way and a wrong way to market a book on Twitter. Consider the following example tweet.

@MasqCrew Thanks for following. Hope you like my book. http://www.example.com


I don't think I've ever clicked on a link in a tweet like that. It doesn't bother me as much as it bothers other people, but I don't think it's super effective. How about a slight upgrade?

@MasqCrew Thanks for following. Check out my new political thriller, The President's Fate. http://www.example.com


In comparison to the first tweet, this one has potential. The name of the book is in the tweet as well as the genre. I've clicked on a few of these before.

However, there's still a problem. A lot of people don't like a sales pitch as soon as they start following someone. It may even prompt an unfollowing. I'm not bothered by it, but enough people are that I wouldn't recommend it as a standard marketing practice.

So, instead of targeting a single follower, try this.

Check out my new political thriller, The President's Fate. http://www.example.com


You can still get into trouble with this tweet, though. Some people spam this kind of tweet all day long, every day. It works, but it will turn some people off. So, I recommend mixing it up with other tweets, and here's the principle: give people a reason—an incentive, an urge—to click on the link, such as in the following examples.

"Get down, Mr. President." #novelines http://www.example.com


I especially liked the action in the book. It was non-stop. http://www.example.com


That second tweet is suppose to be a review quote. It's not the best quote in the world, but you get the idea. Tweet things that will entice your followers to check out the book. Give them a reason to learn more. That's what I try to accomplish with our Twitter Marketing.

How do I know this kind of Twitter Marketing works?

Stay Tuned!