Contemporary Chick-lit: Away From The Spotlight by @Tamara_Carlisle - Two Excerpts

IN THE CLOSING weeks of law school, Shannon Sutherland meets handsome and charming Englishman Will MacKenzie. Initially swept off her feet, Shannon finds that Will has a secret that, once discovered and the consequences realized, could destroy their fledgling relationship.

Away from the Spotlight

by
Tamara Carlisle




tamaracarlisle.com


Cover links
to Amazon
Will and Shannon take great pains to have a normal relationship but, ultimately, find it impossible to do so. Will the pressures of their careers and the temptations of others drive Will and Shannon apart? Can Will and Shannon live a happy life away from the spotlight?

Tamara Carlisle takes you on a romantic ride that explores the consequences of fame and a love that endures all.

Excerpt #1


I had barely stepped away from the bar to pass the end of the high table when I thought I heard someone say, “She’s behind you.” At that moment, a middle-aged man in front of me pushed past me to get to an opening at the end of the bar and a guy to my right turned toward me and backed into my right arm. As a result, the pint in my right hand tilted toward me and poured over my wrist and my hand. Thankfully, my sleeves were pulled up so it didn’t soak my sweater and I had not gotten wet on my skirt or my legs. Before I knew it, though, the pints were taken from my hands and the guy who backed into me had grabbed napkins from the high table and was dabbing my right wrist and hand.

“I am so sorry,” said the guy who was still dabbing at my wrist and hand in a beautiful London accent.

I looked up and I cannot imagine that I didn't blush. He was around my age, give or take a few years, and was nice looking in an unusual, but very handsome way. He had highlighted dark brown hair that was not long, but thick and layered, spiking somewhat on the top and at the sides. He was probably a little over six-feet-tall with broad shoulders for his fairly narrow frame and what I imagined was a sculpted body underneath his shirt. He had chiseled facial features, perfect teeth, piercing green eyes with bushy, but not out-of-control, eyebrows as well as long lashes. Wisps of brown chest hair peeked out where his silvery-grey shirt was unbuttoned at the top.

I had always described my type as tall, dark and Irish-looking and, although he was English rather than Irish, he was what I considered beautiful in a man.

"I didn’t get you did I?” I said with my very American accent.

"No, not all all," he replied. He grabbed my sticky hand and asked, “Will you marry me?” and then winked at me.

Excerpt #2


I took the opportunity to confront John. “What was that in there? You know those are Will’s friends.”

“I know.”

"Will is my boyfriend. You shouldn't be doing things like that and particularly not in front of his friends."

“Which is it that bothers you: that I was holding your hand or that Will’s friends might see?”

“Both.”

“I’m not sorry. I need your friendship right now. Anyway, isn’t that what friends do?”

“We’re not five-years-old. At our age, no, it’s not what friends do.”

“Don’t be mad. I’m sorry. I can behave myself.”

“Can you? Because I don’t know if we can be friends if you can’t.”

A pained look crossed John’s face. “Yes, I can behave myself. Please.” We were silent as we continued to walk to my car. As we approached my car, John asked, “Uh, can you give me a ride back to Max’s? Because my car’s there and I’m kind of stranded.”

I rolled by eyes and grimaced. “Get in.”

Author Bio


Syndicated from her website.

Tamara Carlisle is a former attorney and business consultant. Away from the Spotlight is her first published work of fiction. A graduate of the University of Southern California and its Gould School of Law, Tamara is a diehard USC Trojans fan. Tamara currently resides in the San Francisco Bay Area with her British husband and daughter.

Links


Authorgraph
Facebook
Goodreads
Google+
Pinterest
Shelfari