A fine sense of justice, honor, fable and fact: The Spirit Archer by @Mike_Evers

The Spirit Archer

by Mike Evers




Cover links to Amazon

Synopsis


Some secrets are meant to be shared; and a boy’s encounter with England’s most legendary archer will change his life forever.

In 1237, a man journeys to a priory in Yorkshire to seek refuge and treatment for battle wounds. He is betrayed and murdered. His final, dying act is to fire an arrow through a window, asking to be buried where it lands.

Nearly eight hundred years later, a schoolboy’s incredible discovery will lead to a friendship that will alter his life forever.

And he’ll hear some tales and secrets of England’s most legendary archer of all.

Praise for Rebirth



I grew up in England and Mike Evers' The Spirit Archer brings back memories of fish and chip shops, narrow streets, two-up two-down houses and more. But the author doesn't just evoke an authentic modern England. This novella tells tales from history too, when the tomb of a legendary hero leads young Jamie to consider the realities of the past. Soon the hero who protected the poor is inspiring poor Jamie in school. History homework just got a lot more interesting.

Jamie begins to see possibilities for his future beyond a life of serving fish and chips. But the world still needs heroes, and sometimes heroes even need each other. Lessons arise from history and genuine humanity. Historical mysteries are explored. And very believable young characters fight evils ancient and modern in this truly intriguing tale. If it leads you to check the author's facts on Google, all the better. This is history, mystery, and contemporary drama, neatly packaged for readers in middle grade and higher, with a fine sense of justice, honor, fable and fact.
Being a retired teacher, I find it delightful when a book does a bit of teaching and preaching without beating someone over the head; in other words, it presents a real life problem and provides us with a message: if one works hard and unselfishly cares for others, help, knowledge, or a reward can unrepentantly appear just when you need it the most. Certainly there is a positive comment on the importance of friendship. This is a well crafted book that creates credible characters who one cares about. The plot is cleverly put together and leads to a surprising, but very satisfying conclusion.


Author Bio


I was born in Singapore way back in 1970 and spent my formative years in Wales after my family moved there from Australia in 1976. I’ve since resided in numerous places, including: Sussex, Kent and Poland. After school I did a BA in History at the University of Wales, Swansea; and later, a Masters’ degree in International Conflict Analysis at the University of Kent at Canterbury. This has given me an educational background which I have for the most part managed to avoid capitalizing upon - so far.

I currently live in West Yorkshire with my wife Joanne and son Joseph. I spend a few days a week teaching English in a local college. This is a career I have been doing for 12 years or so and it was in doing a certificate in education in Huddersfield that brought me to the area in 2004.

My interests are fairly varied and include reading pretty much anything. I particularly enjoy reading historical accounts and fiction with a magical angle. My early influences include JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, Roald Dahl, Raymond Feist and David Eddings. My later influences are far too eclectic to mention, but include George Orwell, James Herriot and Michel Foucault. I also enjoy gaming (especially First Person Shooters and RPGs) on PC and PS3.

As an author I usually write Fantasy or Urban Fantasy, quite often with a twist. My first novel - The Chaosifier - mixes fantasy, adventure, humour and philosophy in a modern day setting. For various reasons it is unavailable at the moment, but I plan to re-publish a 2nd edition in the not too distant future. My most recent work, the novella ‘The Spirit Archer’ brings a different angle to one of the most famous characters in English legend. I have aimed these books at teens and young adults in particular – though older readers have told me they’ve enjoyed them greatly too. I enjoy working with GMTA and really love the passion and enthusiasm they bring to the publishing process.

CONNECT WITH MIKE: