"Wacky train ride with a dark side." Olde School by @SelahJanel #fantasy


By tweeting this post, you can earn promotional tweets from me as part of the Amazon Tweet Exchange.
Details here.





Cover links to Amazon.com

Olde School

The Kingdom City Chronicles

Book 1

Written by Selah Janel 

Genre: Fantasy

Amazon  | Goodreads  | Twitter  | Facebook  | Website



Kingdom City has moved into the modern era. Run by a lord mayor and city council (though still under the influence of the High King of The Land), it proudly embraces a blend of progress and tradition. Trolls, ogres, and other Folk walk the streets with humans, but are more likely to be entrepreneurs than cause trouble.

Princesses still want to be rescued, but they now frequent online dating services to encourage lords, royals, and politicians to win their favor. The old stories are around, but everyone knows they’re just fodder for the next movie franchise. Everyone knows there’s no such thing as magic. It's all old superstition and harmless tradition. 

Bookish, timid, and more likely to carry a laptop than a weapon, Paddlelump Stonemonger is quickly coming to wish he'd never put a toll bridge over Crescent Ravine. While his success has brought him lots of gold, it's also brought him unwanted attention from the Lord Mayor. Adding to his frustration, Padd’s oldest friends give him a hard time when his new maid seems inept at best and conniving at worst.

When a shepherd warns Paddlelump of strange noises coming from Thadd Forest, he doesn't think much of it. Unfortunately for him, the history of his land goes back further than anyone can imagine. Before long he'll realize that he should have paid attention to the old tales and carried a club. 

Darkness threatens to overwhelm not only Paddlelump, but the entire realm. With a little luck, a strange bird, a feisty waitress, and some sturdy friends, maybe, just maybe, Padd will survive to eat another meal at Trip Trap's diner. It's enough to make the troll want to crawl under his bridge, if he can manage to keep it out of the clutches of greedy politicians.




An excerpt from

Olde School


.

Here's what

Fans are saying


Wacky train ride with a dark side

I read this book after reading the S.H. Roddey review. I hate being bored with a plot line and will walk away from a book in a heartbeat if the story begins to make me zone out. Roddey was right....I couldn't leave Olde School alone until I had finished it... THEN I READ IT A SECOND TIME!

There is such an assortment of crazy characters and unsuspecting plot twists that everybody will find something in this book to latch onto. BE PREPARED....as fun as it is to read...THERE'S A DARK SIDE...and it catches you by the ankles and drags you into the abyss when you least expect it.

I too wish the author would hurry up and provide us with a sequel; I want to see where this wacky train ride takes us next.



Kickin' it "Olde School"

From my first glance into Trip-Trap’s all the way up to the very last word, I was entranced. Paddlelump is a doll, and if I were Flora, I’d have a soft spot for him too. Ippick is my new personal hero, as cranky and crotchety as he is. And then there’s Clyde, the newfound love of my life. But I won’t spoil that surprise.

Between the witty conversation and the intricate and winding European-style fairy-tale plot lines, I couldn’t put it down. There’s so much going on in Kingdom City, and every page is a brand new adventure. Every time I pick it up and start rereading, I catch onto a subtle, new joke and I laugh a little bit harder.

Would I recommend it to others? Absolutely. I whole-heartedly recommend this book to anyone that happens to see the pretty cover and stop to look.