A strong female character in a #vampire book. The Vampire's Warden by @SJWrightAuthor


FREE on Amazon!


Cover links to Amazon.com

The Vampire's Warden

(Undead in Brown County #1)



by S.J. Wright



It was a flash in the moonlight, a blur of motion like I’d never witnessed before. No human had the capacity to move like that. When I found myself face-to-face with him there in the meadow, I knew without a doubt that the journal was authentic. I knew that my grandfather hadn’t been crazy at all.

Because a foot away from me stood a vampire.

Closer now, I could see the details that I’d missed before. His body seemed to be a solid mass of muscle, garbed in black jeans and a black V-neck t-shirt that emphasized the size of his biceps. The human-looking frame and face might have brought my disbelief back in a tidal wave if it weren’t for the eyes. The contrast between his dark slanting eyebrows and the ice blue gaze that slid over me appreciatively was inhuman. The sardonic half smirk of his hard-looking mouth revealed that the nature of the creature before me was far from friendly.

“Why am I here?” He tilted his head slightly and raised a hand to rub his chin.

“Hmm. Let me think.” Snapping his fingers suddenly, he brightened up and stated sarcastically, “Oh yes! Now I remember. I’ve been imprisoned here.” I watched him move casually away, his dark boots treading quietly in the nighttime stillness. “Either you’re not the brightest bulb in the room or you haven’t read the journal yet. Which is it?”

Sarah reads her grandfather's journal in stunned disbelief. What was once her grandfather's responsibility has passed to her father and now to her. She has become the Warden. Her life will never be the same.

This is part one of a series. It is 31,880 words long. It is a novella, not book length.

Praise for The Vampire's Warden


Vampire's Warden is a story that pulls you into the world of the unseen from the beginning. I was so taken with the story that I read it twice. A woman who has lost her father and inherited the Inn and land now must take on the responsibility of keeping the business together. Abandoned by a mother who left behind two little girls and a husband she finds a way to bring turmoil and chaos from afar. Surrounded by a magical prison on her land that holds one of the strongest vampires alive or should I say undead. She falls into a world Vampires, Council, politics,betrayal and a forbidden attraction for a vampire that would die protecting her and her family, but everything isn't like it seems. This book is an excellent read...



This story is a refreshing take on vampires and one I've not yet read about. The idea of a human warden that keeps charge over resting or imprisoned vampires is new to me, but I loved it! Sarah is a strong female who is finding her way in this new way of life she was thrust into. It is a fast-paced read complete with action, strength, defiance, romance, mystery, and raw emotion. If you like vampire's and romance, this is a great read - I couldn't put it down!



I downloaded this book since it was one of the free ones and I'm so glad i did. I was a little hesitant at first before deciding to read it but I was pleasantly surprised at just how much I loved it. I honestly didn't see a couple of things coming (and since I read this genre rather frequently I was delighted by that) and this was a little bit of a different twist-every author has their own of course and some are wonderful and some just fall flat. As soon as I got done with this book I had to go buy the next one (which is of course the whole point of giving it to you for free in the first place :P).



I really enjoyed how the story line keeps the reader looking for more. There were so many questions that kept coming up but S.J. Wright gives only enough information to keep the reader interested. The details of the story did seem all over the place at first but it was brought together in a unique way and I look forward to the next book(s)!



If you've read twilight and were left wanting more in a female lead character The Vampire Warden hits it out of the park. A strong sense of devotion, confusion, romanticism drives the plot further leaving the reader wanting more. Definitely a summer must read. Looking for book two with lightening speed.