Crew Member Introduction: Q & A with Our Newest Reviewer — @DianthaJones

We're extending an open invitation: if you would like to be a member of our review crew, simply contact us via our contact form which can be accessed from the menu bar above. There's a public waiting list (via the Reviews menu) which will give you an idea of the kinds of books you will have at your finger tips.

Q & A with Diantha Jones


How long have you been a book reviewer?
Since, like, a few days ago, but that one review was my gateway to become a part of the Masquerade Crew! So many more reviews to come!
Note: That review can be read on her blog.

Tell everyone a little bit about yourself.
I’m a 27-year-old Indie author from Georgia, who currently resides in Washington, DC. I went to school for Journalism and worked as a Technical Writer for awhile before taking on the freelance and literary worlds.
When did you first know you wanted to be an author?
The exact date is unknown, but as far back as I can remember I’ve loved books and found out early on that I had a passion and talent for writing. But it wasn’t until I was an adult that I got really serious about writing and from my love of Greek mythology, the Oracle of Delphi Series was born.
What makes you passionate about writing?
The idea that I can enthrall readers with my words alone is beguiling. And I ENJOY it. I spend 70 percent of my time engrossed in books or writing them. It’s pure fun for me to write and everyone knows there’s nothing better than living for something you love.
Who are some of your favorite authors? Books?
I choose my favorite authors, not so much by their actual works, but by their writing styles. JR Ward is one of my faves because her style of writing is so hardcore and descriptive that I sometimes forget I’m reading a book. Have you read her Black Dagger Brotherhood series? If you haven’t and you love vampires, then you should. It’s the best vampire series in existence. I also love Philippa Gregory because her style of writing is so poetic and she wrote an entire series focused on the Tudor dynasty (and I’m obsessed with the Tudors).
What is your writing schedule like?
I write every single day for as many hours as I can manage, except when I’m blocked. Even then I do some editing or I switch projects. Sometimes I read instead, but rarely. I try keep my reading time and my writing time separate.
What do you hope readers will get from your books?
My main goal as a fantasy writer is to mentally remove you from this world and drop you into a new one. I want to take you on the greatest adventures, have you sitting on the edge of your seat as the action unfolds, leave you drooling for the next chapter, and make you forget that you live in reality and not inside my book. If I can achieve even one of these things, then I will call myself a success.
What kinds of inspiration do you use during your story creation periods?
I listen to classical music or movie soundtracks that only contain instrumentals when writing. For some reason, the creative juices flow like water when I have music with no words in the background. Not sure why, but it works.
Besides writing what other talents or hobbies do you have?
Besides reading and writing, I’m also a pretty good singer...okay...you forced it out of me. I’m a KARAOKE EXTRAORDINAIRE. I also LOVE movies and stand-up comedy. I love to eat, but not cook. I like to buy clothes, but not fold them. And I like to travel, but hate to fly (I also hate to drive. I’m hopeless.) Overall, I’m a bore.
How excited are you to be a part of the Masquerade Crew?
I’m über excited to be a part of the Masquerade Crew! I’ve been wanting to start reviewing books for a while now, so the fact that I get to do it with such a professional and fun group of people is awesome!