Crew Member Introduction: Q & A with @Alinzar

We're extending an open invitation: if you would like to be a member of our review crew, simply contact us via our contact form which can be accessed from the menu bar above. There's a public waiting list (via the Reviews menu) which will give you an idea of the kinds of books you will have at your finger tips.

Q & A with Eva Warren


How long have you been a book reviewer?
Well, I’ve always shared my opinions, welcome or not, with my friends so I guess that means I’ve been reviewing books for a while. Formally, I’ve been reviewing since the beginning of 2012.
Tell everyone a little bit about yourself.
I’m a student from New York who somehow manages to blog regularly. I am currently working on my first novel and will be editing it over the summer (wish me luck!). In addition to writing, I’m also an avid reader and quite opinionated as I mentioned above.
When did you first know you wanted to be an author?
Way back when in 1st grade I wrote and illustrated a picture book entitled Leo the Lonely Lion. I dedicated it to my father and my mother was heartbroken. It was then that I decided I needed to write another book in order to even the score. I choose NaNoWriMo as a means of motivation and successfully wrote my 50k. After that, of course, I was obsessed with the creative process and decided to become even more serious about my writing. Bottom line? Writing has always been important to me, but the change from hobby to serious pursuit has been as recent as within the past year.
What makes you passionate about writing?
As a fantasy writer, I love sharing my imaginary worlds with others. The idea that something that is so completely a part of my dysfunctional self can be translated into a construct that normal people can understand fascinates me. Not only that, but reading has always offered an escape and I hope to provide that for others.
Who are some of your favorite authors? Books?
I’ve always been a fan of fantasy novels. Consequently, I’m a complete Potterhead. I also love Tamora Pierce’s Tortall based stories. Her quartets were a wonderful introduction to high fantasy, a genre that I’ve loved ever since. I highly recommend her books, although they are most certainly aimed at a younger audience.
What is your writing schedule like?
If I got everything that I wanted in this world I’d be writing everyday for an hour or two. Unfortunately I don’t have that power so I’ve resigned myself to writing as much as I can fit in during the day. When I’m on break, however, I write around six hours a day, a complete turnaround from my daily schedule. I’m also slightly nocturnal so my best writing often occurs from midnight to five am.
What do you hope readers will get from your books?
I’m sure that my idealistic hopes will be nowhere near the actual results, but I dream that reading my work will offer readers the opportunity to explore and escape. I try to transport them out of this world into another where the only thing of importance is worrying whether or not the protagonist will survive his or her next adventure.
What kinds of inspiration do you use during your story creation periods?
I have a power playlist on my iTunes that is around 2 hours long and plays on a constant loop until I’ve worked long enough. I also love the pressure of Write or Die and it generally helps me push through large chunks of plot.
Besides writing what other talents or hobbies do you have?
I’m actually a singer. I sing everything from baroque to One Republic in the shower and I’d definitely say that music is one of the things that defines me. I also take photos when I travel (although it does take me around 100 to get the perfect shot) and I post most of them on my photo blog. I love cooking, travel and science. I’m a huge bio-nerd. Other than that? I’m not sure what there is to say… I’m confident that you’ll all learn more about me than you’d ever want to know as time passes.
How excited are you to be a part of the Masquerade Crew?
A writer isn’t allowed to say that she doesn’t have words for something, right? If I were allowed to say that, I would… I fear, however, that you’ll have to settle for supremely excited… Or perhaps terrifically excited. For some reason, my thesaurus is failing me in my quest for the perfect word. Anyway, I’m sure you get the point. I’m ridiculously pumped to join such an awesome group of people!