Interview, including "speechless", an erotic poem by @EroticPhoebe #interview


Phoebe Alexander
Author of 
The Playground



Interview # 2 (of 2)

What does your writing process look like?

I write in fits and spurts. It helps that I type over 100 words per minute. Once I have an idea coalesce, my fingers fly across the keyboard like Horowitz on a piano (I play the piano too, by the way.) I can write a thousand words in under an hour pretty regularly, or 3-4K words in a day. Unfortunately, I don't get a chance to write every day (damn day jobs!)

But then the real work begins: editing. I don't do a lot of re-writing, but I do a lot of editing, shaping and polishing. That process takes way longer than the actual writing process.

Have you always liked to write?

My mother was a teacher, which meant I was read to a lot as a child. I started learning to read when I was about three, which meant that by four I was writing. I wrote a book about Strawberry Shortcake in first grade and then my first 80 page novel in third grade called Maybe Someday, Katie. I have vivid memories of my mother teaching me how to punctuate dialogue. I was probably the only eight-year-old in the state who could properly use quotation marks.

Through elementary, junior high and high school, I wrote 16 novels which are all packed away in storage now. In college and early adulthood I focused on poetry until I discovered blogging in 2007. I amassed a following on AdultFriendFinder with my blog An Open Book, and was at one time the number one blogger (trust me, this is probably something of which I should be more ashamed than proud!) It was my time blogging that really gave me the courage to try novels again.

What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?

My least favorite part is the shameless self-promotion that goes along with indie authorship. People think I am good at it because I don't mind talking about myself and I am somewhat of an exhibitionist by nature. But I would honestly rather show you a provocative selfie than ask you to buy my book. It's true that I am narcissistic and vain, but I don't like asking people for help.

Write a poem about a first romantic (dare I say: sexual) experience or encounter.

speechless



my hand approaches

fingers outstretched

poised to stroke your

unconquered land

I'll plant a flag

with my lips





I can hear your sigh

before contact

everything is trembly

even your eyes

your flesh strains toward me

begging



"It's been a long time, hasn't it, baby?"



you pulsate under my fingertips

my tongue soothes the throb

your eyes half close

consumed with need

so slowly unfurls the magic

at my mercy





you don't even realize

how fast it will come

but I do

feeling the pressure mounting

I anticipate

your release





"How do you feel now?"



But you can't answer.