A fan of Grity Romances & Chick-Lit! Meet @denaehaggerty, Our New Crew Member


By tweeting this post, you can earn promotional tweets from me as part of the Amazon Tweet Exchange.
Details here.




Buffer 

Tell everyone a little bit about yourself.
I am an indie author, blogger and book reviewer. I’m also a recovering lawyer, former B&B owner and was a military policewoman for the U.S. Army in a previous life. After spending my senior year of high school in Germany, I developed a bad case of wanderlust that is yet to be cured. I currently live in Istanbul and blog about all the strange and wonderful things I encounter while exploring the city. I’ve independently published two novels and am working (albeit slowly) on the third. I use my book blog to review books of other (indie) authors in any genre that happens to tickle my fancy. To say I enjoy reading would be one of the biggest understatements of my life. I’ve finally managed to train my husband that if I’m near the end of the book, he’s not allowed to talk to me or make noise in any manner. The dog, on the other hand, is another matter. 

Who are some of your favorite authors? Books?
I love some of the modern day greats such as Orhan Pamuk, Amitar Ghosh, Khaled Hosseini, Amy Tan, Ernest Hemingway, Toni Morrison, etc. This list goes on of course. The Grapes of Wrath has to be one of my all-time favorite reads. I even forced my husband to read it. The Kite Runner has, without a doubt, the best opening sentence in literature and it only gets better from there. Oh wait, I can’t forget Life of Pi. As a former lawyer, I may sneak in a book from John Grisham or Scott Turow from time to time. But I’m not always serious. I also love Janet Evanovich’s books. My husband calls them my laugh out loud books. And yeah okay, I’ll admit it – I love Harry Potter. There I’ve said it. 

What are your favorite genres of books to read?
Another difficult question. It really depends on my mood and where my life is at when I’m reading. If I’m in desperate need of escape, I’ll pick up a romance (preferably something gritty with a bit of suspense). I like mysteries and suspense as well. Chick-lit is great for a vacation read. I try to spend some time being serious every week and those moments I fill with historical biographies. I’m especially fascinated with Imperial Russia. I’ve recently started to read quite a bit of fantasy as well. I like the paranormal as long as the author makes it believable. 

Besides reading, what other talents or hobbies do you have?
There’s something in life besides reading? But seriously, I’m an avid tennis player, runner, adventure seeker (aka adrenalin junkie) and traveler. I love going to the movies and splurging on good food (such as sushi).

How excited are you to be a part of the Masquerade Crew?
A site where the reviewers are encouraged to wear masks? Can’t get much more awesome than that! 

Adventure seeker? Well, you'll find plenty of literary adventures here! Welcome to the Crew, Dena!

DeeJay and Mark