Loves his readers most of all. Indie Interview with @PowersMolinar


By tweeting this post, you can earn promotional tweets from me as part of the Amazon Tweet Exchange.
Details here.




Buffer
 
Conversations with authors and writers from the self-publishing world.


Meet Powers Molinar

Genre: Sci-Fi
Best Known for: Spartanica

Powers Molinar writes YA/teen science fiction and adventure novels in the hope kids become more avid readers because of his stories.  Powers and his family live in the Chicago suburbs.

Connect with Powers

Website  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads


Thank you for joining us today!

How did you get started writing, and why did you want to write?
I’ve seen the enjoyment reading brings to my kids’ lives and I know the success they have in school is, in part, due to their love of reading.  I decided to write YA/teen science fiction in the hope of sparking that same exuberance and hunger for achievement in other kids.  

What made you decide to go the "indie" route?
I read a lot of horror stories about authors watching helplessly as their novels languished for months with literary agents and publishers that had other priorities.  I figured, with Spartanica, I was going to give it everything I had.  Whether it takes off or not, I know I will have given it the best chance for success.

Cover Links to Amazon
Tell us about the books you have available now, and about those that you're working on.
Spartanica is my debut novel and the first of three or four books in The Survivors of Sapertys series.  It’s a story about a couple middle school brothers who suddenly find themselves on a parallel world that’s been largely destroyed by some unknown apocalypse.  They meet survivors here and there and slowly start to unravel the mystery of the devastation around them as they battle to find a way home.   

Of the stories you have out now, which is your favorite? Do you have a favorite scene or character that stands out?
Spartanica has a number of interesting, unique characters but my favorites are Nekitys and Proditor.  Both personalities change in unexpected ways throughout the course of the book which adds a unique dimension to the story.  Just when you think you’ve figured them out, you realize their not what you thought they were.

What would you like to tell your readers? What would you like to say to potential readers?
I’d like to tell my readers, “Thank you!”  The most satisfying part of being an author is listening to my readers tell me about their favorite parts of Spartanica.  They’re so enthusiastic and animated when they speak… it’s a total blast.  For those that haven’t read Spartanica yet, you should give it try.  The story was beta-read a couple times by several middle school kids before it was published.  They were tough on me but it made Spartanica a book sci-fi and adventure readers really enjoy reading.

There are many, many indie books and authors out there right now. How do you work to stand out?
My audience is middle and high school sci-fi fans.  The readers of this genre like three things in perfect balance:  riveting action, intriguing characters, and exciting, unpredictable plot.  I make sure my stories are balanced with generous helpings of all three.  In addition, my readers are very visual.  The book cover has to be killer and my website has to deliver a lot of illustrations that support the story.

What's your favorite part about being an author (both as writer and publishing books), and what's your least favorite part?
My favorite part is talking with my fans about the story.  It’s a blast to hear the excitement in their voices as they talk about the characters like they’re best friends.  My least favorite part is getting illustrations done.  I don’t have the artistic skills to do them myself and working with illustrators has proven to be a long, arduous process although the final products have been encouraging.

Any parting words?
My dream is to have a Spartanica video game. Imagine unleashing lofters and draiders on the Desrata settlement or using your maj-rifle to defend the armory! It would be a total rush!  Let’s make Spartanica popular enough to get there!


Thank you, Powers!
Bella