"Vivid and enthralling." The Boxcar Baby by @JLMulvihill #ya #steampunk


By tweeting this post, you can earn promotional tweets from me as part of the Amazon Tweet Exchange.
Details here.





Cover links to Amazon.com

The Boxcar Baby

Steel Roots

Written by J.L. Mulvihill

Genre: Young Adult, Steampunk 

http://www.seventhstarpress.com/

Amazon  | Goodreads  | Twitter  | Facebook  | Website



Born in a boxcar on a train bound for Georgia. At least that is what Papa Steel always told AB'Gale. But now, fifteen years later, the man who adopted and raised her as his own is missing and it's up to AB'Gale to find him.

Aided only by a motley gang of friends, AB'Gale train hops her way across the United States in a desperate attempt to find her papa and put her life and family back the way it was. Her only guide is a map given to her by a mysterious hobo, with hand written clues she found hidden in her papa's spyglass.

Here is the Great American Adventure in an alternate steampunk dystopian world, where fifteen-year-old AB'Gale Steel learns that nothing is as it seems, but instead is shrouded in secrets and mysteries ... and that monsters come in all shapes and forms.

The Boxcar Baby is the first book of the Steel Roots series.



An excerpt from

The Boxcar Baby


.

Here's what

Fans are saying


I thoroughly enjoyed the boxcar baby! I fell in love with the characters, the friendship, the journey they all were on and more. Abby is such a fun, strong, sassy character and her friends are icing on the cake. 

J.L Mulvihill shows amazing description and characterization. The style and language are a breath of fresh air and pulls you in from the first word.

It's I know how the caged bird sings or how to kill a mockingbird meets steampunk to me and loved every page! A must read!!
— Connie


I want to start off by saying I am so very glad that this is a series. I can not wait to see where the story will head next.

This is a YA book but I very much enjoyed it. This one was one I think would be good for anyone 12+. One thing I really loved about this one was it was fast paced and moved quickly. 

Mulvihill did an amazing job making realistic characters. She wrote in a way that helped us meet and understand the characters.

Mulvihill's storytelling is vivid and enthralling.

Mulvihill has created a world that is in turmoil and Abby must fight to stay ahead and find her father.

This is a wonderful story and I can not wait for book two. The cover art and interior art are awesome as well.



Author Bio

J.L. Mulvihill


I am a native Californian living in Mississippi. I love writing and have written poetry, short stories and song lyrics from the time that I first learned to write. 

My most recent short stories are featured in the anthology, Memories and Dreams, published by The Fine Arts Center in Hot Springs, AR. 

I also love to cook and have developed many original recipes. Recently, I coupled one of my favorite recipes with a short story called, Jen's Spicy Crawfish Bisque which appears in It's All About Food with a Mississippi Twist. 

My first novel was accepted for publication and scheduled for release sometime before Labor Day 2011. I have written several articles for the Jackson Literature Examiner. 

I am also an event's coordinator for the Mississippi chapter of Imagicopter, an organization of authors and artists who promote their own publications, while lending a hand to other writers and artists. 

I belong to the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI), Gulf Coast Writers Association (GCWA), The Mississippi Writers Guild (MWG), as well as The Arts Council of Clinton, The Clinton Ink-Slingers Writing Group and the JavaInk Jotters.