Practice sex acts before? #Interview with @EolynChronicles


By tweeting this post, you can earn promotional tweets from me as part of the Amazon Tweet Exchange.
Details here.





We're pleased to introduce

Karin Rita Gastreich

Author of

High Maga





Cover links to Amazon.com


           


Lightening Round


Lover or fighter?

Lover.

Bike or car?

Bike. (You mean bicycle, right?)

MacGyver or Sherlock Holmes?

Sherlock Holmes.


Serious Round


How have you improved as a writer since you first began? What would you attribute your growth to?

"I did not know much about writing when I first began, so I have improved ways that are too many to list. I’m much better at managing point of view and more economic with my words. I’ve learned how to write battle scenes and have become more comfortable with exploring the darker side of human nature. I attribute my growth to writers groups, critique partners, and an amazing editor (Terri-Lynne DeFino). Their critical feedback has been essential. I also do a lot of reading, and have learned much about writing from the examples set by other authors."

What non-writing-related thing have you done or learned that shows up in your work?

"I have been an ecologist for more than 25 years. I do most of my field work in the rain forests of Central America, though I have a great love for the forests and prairies of North America, too. I have also been to South Africa and Southeast Asia. My fascination for the natural world and all living creatures permeates my work. The magical systems of EOLYN and HIGH MAGA are grounded in knowledge of the natural world. I have also read a lot of history, especially the history of women in ancient and medieval times. This has had a strong influence on the stories I choose to write. "


Wacky Question


How do you come up with sex scenes and do you practice sex acts before your final draft of said scene?

For me, sex scenes are relatively easy and fun to write, though there have been a few exceptions along the way. When writing about sex, I ignore the mechanics for the most part and focus on the emotional responses of the characters. I also use a lot of metaphor. By the time I sat down to write EOLYN, I had lived for a few years and therefore had enjoyed plenty of opportunities to “practice” sex. So I’ve never felt the need to do additional research before writing a scene. After writing a scene, however, I often find myself curiously in the mood . . .


Author Bio



Karin Rita Gastreich writes tales of ordinary women and the extraordinary paths they choose. Inspired by a lifetime of exploring lush forests and breathtaking landscapes, Karin’s stories blend elements of epic fantasy, historical fiction, and romance. The worlds she creates are a strange amalgamation of medieval Europe and colonial Central America, with misty forests, vast savannas, and steamy jungles. They are populated by brave heroines, noble heroes, and twisted villains.

From ancient woodlands to uncharted seas, readers will experience gripping battle scenes, heart wrenching loss, hard-won triumphs, and the ultimate magic of love. Karin’s fantasy novels EOLYN and HIGH MAGA are available from Hadley Rille Books. Her short stories have appeared in Zahir, 69 Flavors of Paranoia, and World Jumping. She runs an on-line discussion forum about women in genre fiction at Heroines of Fantasy. Follow Karin’s adventures into fantastic worlds, both real and imagined, at krgastreich.com.