Show N' Read Saturday #1–MERLIN

Prophecy of the Most Beautiful

by Diantha Jones 

Click here to check it out on Amazon.




A weekly meme hosted by Diantha Jones where we share and rate TV shows and movies we've seen, and the books that we have read or have now been inspired to read.

This week I watched:

A family-oriented retelling of the popular King Arthur legend finds Merlin (Colin Morgan) arriving in Camelot, where magic is banned. There, he clandestinely hones his sorcery skills with the help of his uncle (Richard Wilson), the court physician. Meanwhile, Merlin strikes up a reluctant truce with the irritating Prince Arthur (Bradley James) and befriends a lonely dragon held captive in the palace dungeon. (Netflix)

So I finally made it to season two of this BBC hit, and even though it is as low-budget as they come, I can't stop watching. I mean, who doesn't love the legend of King Arthur and Camelot? And even better, told from Merlin's point of view? It's great. I can't wait to continue on in this series, especially since they cancelled Starz's "Camelot" a while back. Still mad about that.

My rating: 3.5/5 STARS


Books I want to read:

The Once and Future King by T.H. White (1958)

T.H. White's masterful retelling of the saga of King Arthur is a fantasy classic as legendary as Excalibur and Camelot, and a poignant story of adventure, romance, and magic that has enchanted readers for generations. (Amazon).

Well, DUH. Of course, I was going to choose one of the most famous (probably THE most famous) retelling of the King Arthur legend. I'm trying to figure out why I haven't already read this, but like every avid reader, the too-read list is beyond mind-boggling. But this one is on there, and closer to the top rather than the bottom.


My Boyfriend Merlin by Priya Ardis (2011)



In this modern Arthurian, 17 year-old Boston high schooler Arriane, aka Ryan, DuLac just found out the guy she's been crushing on, hot biker Matt, is a little older than he was letting on. In fact, he is really Merlin—the Merlin, King Arthur's Merlin, the greatest wizard who ever lived. Frozen in a cave for over fifteen hundred years, he's woken for a purpose. But Ryan's not impressed. Tired of being a relationship loser, she'd rather kick his legendary behind.
Sure, the world has been crazy ever since the sword and the stone fell out of the sky like a meteor. But despite gruesome gargoyles, a deadly new world of magic, and the guy driving her crazy, Ryan knows that family is everything. Will Merlin sacrifice hers to save the world? Will she be able to stop him? (Goodreads)

Despite the mixed reviews of this book, I cannot resist a book that modernizes great fables. Maybe I'm prejudice since I do this with my own Oracle of Delphi series, but I really do enjoy modern takes on old ideas, especially ones that take on a romantic angle not really seen before, such as this one does. This is definitely on my to-read list and I'm excited to read it.

Want to join Show N' Read Saturday or check out other SN'R posts? Click here.