New Feature: Words of the Week

Buffer

Every one and their dog has a Word of the Day feature. But I'm not that talented. Well, it's not really about talent. I just don't have the time or energy to come up with a word of the day post. Plus this site is already full of other kinds of posts.

But since learning new things is a passion of mine, I'm going to give this a try.

How did I come up with this idea?


I frequent Dictionary.com frequently, so I am familiar with their Word of the Day feature. However, this idea has a more direct origin.

In a philosophical moment, I tweeted the following.



Then this:



It was that visit to Dictionary.com that got me to thinking about a Words of the Week feature.

Did you know?





emolument



Definition: (noun) profit, salary, or fees from office or employment; compensation for services: Tips are an emolument in addition to wages.

Origin: 1435, from Latin emolumentum "profit, gain," perhaps originally "payment to a miller for grinding corn," from emolere "grind out," from ex- "out" + molere "to grind."

Sentence examples: The total stipend may be reduced by the council as a result of other emoluments a fellow may receive.

The statesman, they trusted, would patronize their religion for its utility; and the clergy would inculcate it for their own emolument.



For this first Words of the Week feature, there's only the one word. I like being ironic like that. Next time I will feature more words, some from Dictionary.com's Word of the Day feature, perhaps some from my own research, and maybe a few suggested by you.

What words would you like to see featured?