Why I Write What I Write by Danielle DeVor, @sammyig, syndicated #guestpost

The following was originally posted here.



Why I Write What I Write by Danielle DeVor

I guess you could say, I was the kid who always wanted the monsters to win. I can remember watching The Monster Squad for the first time back in the 1980’s and crying when Frankenstein’s Monster had to go away. So, with that love behind me, writing about all things fantasy and horror was a natural progression.


I find myself looking for something dark and mysterious in anything that I read—hoping that I will be surprised and discover a vampire hiding in the middle of a contemporary romance or a witch hiding in the middle of a historical.

When writing something, I try to keep that feeling of discovery alive. Now, granted, I know that most people aren’t like me. They don’t want the Creature from the Black Lagoon to walk out of a closet in the middle of a steamy sex scene. So, I try to keep my stories where I’m most comfortable.
Honestly– the one romance I wrote was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

But, I will admit, I do plan on writing a historical at some point. I would imagine that will be the second time a book will be the hardest thing I’ve ever written. 😉

Check out more of Danielle DeVor