Imagine you are someone’s shadow for a day. #interview, #flashfic w/ @sammyig

Danielle DeVor
Author of 
Sorrow's Edge



Interview # 2 (of 2)

What does your writing process look like?

I yank out a fresh steno pad, sparkly gel pens, and make sure the house is silent. Then, I begin.

What authors have inspired you to write?

Stephen King, Anne Rice, Richard Matheson

Are you a plotter or a pantster?

I'm a total pantser. I never truly know where a story will end up until I get there.

Imagine you are someone’s shadow for a day.

It all started when I died. My body went one way and my soul became attached to this girl. She didn't even seem to notice me at first. But, over time, I started to realize she knew exactly what she was doing.

Every time she would get near certain people, she would mumble these unfamiliar words under her breath. Something in another language. It sounded like she kept saying, "She-ta-she-ka!" And, each time she said it, the person she walked past would dim a little. Almost as if she was stealing a bit of their life-source.

I was different somehow. There were no other spirits connected to her like I was. Every so often, I would see another spirit, but they never spoke. They just stared at me and shook their heads. It was kind of disconcerting.

Finally, we reached her house. It was a big old thing that needed painted. At one time, it had been a beautiful place. Now, it looked like it could fall in at any time. But, once we were inside, it seemed solid enough.

"You can speak, you know," she said suddenly.

I jerked. "What have you done to me?"

She smiled in an evil way, then pointed slowly at the mirror above the fireplace. The reflection made me pause. There, in the frame of the mirror, was what looked like twins. She and I were even wearing the same clothes.

"I've looked for you for a long time," she said.

"I don't understand."

"You were separated from me about four years ago. A bad boyfriend I had played around with things he shouldn't have. Took my soul from me. How he had you attached to that bitch I will never know."

Her words were a lie. I knew nothing beyond my life I had just finished. My parents, my dog, nothing about this house and definitely nothing about someone like her. "What if you're wrong?"

She grinned. "I'm not. This is just what happens to you once you lose your soul."