"Fast paced and epic, I would recommend the Hunger Games for a heart racing adventure."

The following guest review was written by Ruth Ellen Parlour. Check out her website here. She's looking to release her first novel, Earth Angel, this summer. Let's all give her some support and say, "Way to go!"

There's still time to turn in your own review of The Hunger Games. See this page for more details.

The Hunger Games


by Suzanne Collins


Genre: Young Adult

Book Synopsis

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

Ruth's Rating





Ruth's Review


I read the Hunger Games on recommendation by two of my friends and I’m glad I did.

The author writes in a very direct tone and the present tense threw me off a little but I forgot about it pretty quickly. It is very compelling and Collins constantly drives the plot forward with twists and turns, mystery and suspense. I got into it immediately and was desperate to find out what happened. I could empathise with the main character and willed her to succeed throughout the novel.

I love the futuristic styles and fashions Collins describes. Her rich characters have wonderful and outrageous hair, clothes and makeup which contrasts massively to the poverty stricken background of the protagonist which heightens the alien nature of her predicament.

Fast paced and epic, I would recommend the Hunger Games for a heart racing adventure. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me think. It’s one of those books you just can’t put down!

Disclaimer: May not be appropriate for children due to violence.