"As a coming of age story, the Domino Effect does well."

The Domino Effect


by Andrew Cotto


Genre: Young Adult

Book Synopsis

The Domino Effect is the story of Danny Rorro, a charismatic kid from Queens poisoned by the past. A series of painful defeats have left him scarred and isolated from his neighborhood, his parents, and, most significantly, the benevolent ways of his childhood when he was known as “Domino.” With great insight, imagery and wit, Danny recalls his past in Queens and his coming-of-age at Hamden Academy. This fast paced and powerful story is rich with conflict, humor, tenderness and music—just like life, especially when coming-of-age.

Bec's Rating





Bec's Review


Domino Effect in its first few chapters led me to expect more of this book than it was. There was a lead up to Dan’s final year of high school and the story he had to tell as result, a story that in order to tell properly involved touching on the events of his previous years. So I guess I felt there was a lead up for events to be much larger and more intense than they were, and while a lot does happen to Dan in his final year I just kind of expected the events to be something more major or dramatic.

With young adult novels once again reaching popularity not just with teenagers but with many adults there is certainly a market for books like the Domino Effect at the moment. And yet I feel the Domino Effect tries a little too hard to fit the market. There were times where it reminded me of other young adult books I had read, and yet always falling just short of the enjoyment those books brought me. There is potential to the Domino Effect but I’m afraid it’s not quite reaching that potential at the moment.

That’s not to say the Domino Effect is not a good read. I did for the most part enjoy the book, but I just kept expecting something more to happen. As a coming of age story, the Domino Effect does well, and it does try to impart an important lesson about the Domino Effect our actions can have on others. I just wish I could have enjoyed it more. With so many really good Young Adult books currently flooding the market it is important for a book such as this to live up to the potential it has. Then, perhaps, it may be a great read.

Disclaimer: May not be appropriate for children due to violence.