3 Reading Myths Debunked — syndicated post from @JeanNicole19

The following is syndicated from the blog of JeanNicole Rivers and is posted here with permission.

1. Never judge a book by its cover.


Of course you should judge a book by its cover. If the author didn’t put much thought, time or creativity into the cover you can probably expect as much from the book itself. The front cover art of a book is important, it is usually the only graphic that you get for a particular work and it is the foundation on which you base your imaginings for all of the physical details in the story, therefore the author better make sure it’s good.

2. Always finish a book you start.


For the most part, I still believe that this is a virtuous concept, one that I try to implement in my reading routine, however if I am a quarter of the way through a novel, miserable and want to slice my wrists rather than open it again, then I give up. Back in college I had all of the time in the world and if I didn’t much care for a book I was reading, I kept going because I thought that I couldn’t be sure how I felt about the book until I read it to the end, but that’s just crap. Life is too short to waste time reading stuff you don’t like. As I have grown older, I have grown more savvy and intuitive about life, love and people, I have developed a gift of knowing whether or not I like a person within the first 10 minutes of meeting them, I have developed the same gift for books; you should too.

3. Self-published books are crappy and not a good read.


This is not true and I am not saying that just because I self-published my novel, Black Water Tales: The Secret Keepers, though that’s a hell of a good reason. Some of the most talented people and original works are turned down by major publishing companies’ everyday simply because they don’t fit particular trends and money making formulas that are popular. If there aren’t any vampires or skinny people telling you how to be skinny or something similar companies don’t want to publish you, but true artists don’t follow trends. With technology burning through our culture faster than the speed of light, the days of huge publishing companies, record labels, etc will become extinct, the market will be niched down and smaller companies will emerge, but independent artists will continue to rise. Many authors self publish, not because it would be impossible for them get published with a bigger or more moderately sized company, but because…who needs ‘em?




About JeanNicole


Syndicated from her website

I was born in the tiny, but lovable town of Centralia, IL which has a two screen movie theatre, one high school and still celebrates May Fete, so I had no choice, but to develop a fantastic imagination. Since childhood I have been writing everything from short stories to songs, but I have always aspired to compose a novel. Black Water Tales: The Secret Keepers is my first novel and the first book in what will be a series of thriller novels.

Philosophy was my study in college and I received a Bachelor of Arts in the subject from Florida International University. Writing is one of my most favored artistic pursuits, but my love for the arts does not stop there, I am also a vocalist and actress and participate in local theater in Houston Texas.

Follow her on Twitter: @JeanNicole19
Check out her blog: HERE