Like most authors, she'd rather be writing. Indie Interview with @ValerieDouglasA



Buffer
 
Conversations with authors and writers from the self-publishing world.


Meet Valerie Douglas

Genre: Fantasy
Best Known for: The Millersburg and Coming Storm series


Valerie Douglas is a prolific writer and a genre-crosser, much to the delight of her fans. A fan of authors in almost every genre she writes classic fantasy, romance, suspense, and, as V.J. Devereaux, erotic romance. 

Happily married, she's companion to two dogs, four cats and an African clawed frog named Hopper who delights in tormenting the cats from his tank.

Connect with Valerie


Website  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads 

Thank you for joining us today!

How did you get started writing, and why did you want to write?

Wait, wait…there was a choice? *laughing* You obviously haven’t talked to the voices in my head! I was making up stories before I learned to ride a bike, but I started writing because I wanted to read the kind of books I write.

What made you decide to go the "indie" route?

I was traditionally published with a mid-level publisher - it just wasn’t a good fit. It was my good luck that indie publishing was really taking off then.

Tell us about the books you have available now, and about those that you're working on.

I’ve got 21 books out now – mainly fantasy, but also a popular action-adventure (I really do have to write the sequel to that), a couple of romantic suspense novels, a romance series, and a horror. I also have a mystery that also deals with domestic violence, and another about child abuse. *grins* Then there’s the erotica I write under a pen name. As for what’s in the pipeline, I’m working on a prequel to my fantasy series, The Coming Storm, and a sequel to my Servant of the Gods series.

Of the stories you have out now, which is your favorite? Do you have a favorite scene or character that stands out?

Asking an author which story is their favorite is like asking a mother which child is. I love them all for different reasons. The Coming Storm and its sequel were the most ecstatic experience, while some parts of Nike’s Wings were like pulling teeth.

What would you like to tell your readers? What would you like to say to potential readers?

For my readers, Thank you! For potential readers – If you’re looking for something different, with strong, capable heroines, you’ll love my books.

There are many, many indie books and authors out there right now. How do you work to stand out?

I hire a good cover artist to attract attention, and a good editor to make sure nothing distracts from that. In the end, though, it’s the content, the characters, the story, that matters.

What's your favorite part about being an author (both as writer and publishing books), and what's your least favorite part?

Favorite – being in a different world, whether that’s a fantasy or here and now. Least? Like most authors, I’d rather write than market. 

Any parting words?

If folks haven’t tried some indie authors, there are a lot of them out there. Give us a try!


Thank you, Valerie!
Bella