Delivers stories that are fresh and different. Indie Interview with @HAnneHenry



Buffer
 
Conversations with authors and writers from the self-publishing world.


Meet H. Anne Henry

Genre: Fantasy
Best Known for: Dove Creek Chronicles

H. Anne Henry is an urban fantasy & paranormal romance writer. She lives in North Texas, where the flat, windswept landscape provides inspiration for the backdrop of her brand new Dove Creek Chronicles series. When she isn't pecking away at a story, she spends her time chasing a busy husband and loving a spirited toddler . . . Or is that the other way around?

Connect with 

H. Anne

Website  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads


Thank you for joining us today!

How did you get started writing, and why did you want to write? 

Somewhere in my early teenage years, I began jotting down little stories that popped into my head. At that time I had no inkling of being an author; I simply enjoyed letting my imagination take a stroll across the page. That’s still what it’s all about for me. Writing is an important creative outlet and with the advent of self-publishing, I can easily share that with others.   

What made you decide to go the "indie" route?

I’m impatient! Really, though. I have nothing against traditional publishing, but waiting around to find out if my manuscript would be accepted and then the long wait to see my book on shelves just doesn’t appeal to me. Indie publishing allows me to have full control of my schedule as well as the creative aspects of getting books on the market. So maybe I’m an impatient control-freak?  

Tell us about the books you have available now, and about those that you're working on.

The first installment of the Dove Creek Chronicles, Once Broken,  is my debut novel and is out now. Right now, I’m working on the second book in the series, Twice Dead. It should be out sometime this summer.

Of the stories you have out now, which is your favorite? Do you have a favorite scene or character that stands out?

Since Once Broken is it at the moment, it holds that distinction, but I think it’ll stay one of my favorites for good. The car chase scene was so much fun to write and it’s a rousing display of action, but my favorite part of it comes at the end. Remi is forced to shoot two people in self-defense and she doesn’t take it too well. She’s deeply upset about it and it shows that she’s not a battle-hardened warrior, but just a regular woman with weaknesses and feelings who tries her damnedest to protect people.

What would you like to tell your readers? What would you like to say to potential readers? 

Thank you! I’m still a fledgling author, so every bit of support I receive is incredible and I appreciate it so very much. To potential readers, I hope you’ll take a chance on me. I can promise that I will always put forth the best work that I’m able.

There are many, many indie books and authors out there right now. How do you work to stand out?

Wow, you’re right! And not only are there many, but there is some amazing talent in the indie pool. It’s tough to be visible in such a market, so I try to deliver stories that are fresh but still touch on what readers like to see. Creatures such as vampires and werewolves have been done every which way, but I’ve brought something different to the table with the Dove Creek series.  

What's your favorite part about being an author (both as writer and publishing books), and what's your least favorite part

I have been hugely surprised by how much I’ve enjoyed learning the indie publishing process, and I’ve come in contact with readers, bloggers, and other authors that I would not have had I not started on this journey. My least favorite part is having to talk about myself. Weird, I know! But like many writers, I’m naturally introverted. I have a hard time playing myself up.

Any parting words? 
Just want to say a big thank you to the Masquerade Crew for being here to help promote indie authors and our work. Y’all are fantastic! 



Thank you, H. Anne!
Bella