Book Review #3: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone by J.K. Rowling

Book Synopsis

Harry Potter thinks he is an ordiary boy—until he is rescued by an owl, taken to Hogarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, learns to play Quidditch and does battle in a deadly duel.The Reason: Harry Potter is a Wizard. (taken from the book back cover)


Krystal's Rating





Krystal's Review


I remember reading the first Harry Potter in grade 3 when everyone was reading little picture books. I was amazed by this new world JK Rowling opened up to me. It made me want to wake up to an owl pecking at my window with my acceptance letter, and even now, as a 16 year old, this book gives so much excitement to do things like go to Flinders Street station, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia and stand on platform 9, though it is joint with platform 8. I don't care, it's still a very magical experience.

JK Rowling told of a magical place where things are not always as they seem, where we followed Harry’s story, and laughed, cried and fought side by side with him, though not in person but in heart. We were there when Harry met the Weasley’s, who helped him onto platform 9 ¾. We were there when Harry set his eyes on Hogwarts for the first time. We were there when Harry was sorted into Gryffindor, and we were there when Harry faced his greatest danger. I think you get it. We were there.

I loved the witch and wizard and the magical beasts, the goblin, the ghosts and the magical feasts; they’re all that I love and all that I need, at Hogwarts. All of the characters: Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Snape, McGonagall, and the rest, all the places, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, 4 Privet Drive, the Ministry of Magic, and all places in between. JK Rowling bought all this alive in a third person format, tied all together with amazing plots and twists, taking us on the first instalment of a mysterious journey through Harry's life in a life-changing story.

Disclaimer: May not be appropriate for very young children due to violence.