Indie Interview: Ichabod Temperance (@MtrofTemperance), a Steampunk novelist



Buffer
 
Conversations with authors and writers from the self-publishing world.


Meet Ichabod Temperance

Genre: Steampunk/Paranormal
Best Known for: The Adventures of Ichabod Temperance



Ichabod Temperance is silly little fellow living in Irondale, Alabama with his lovely muse Miss Persephone Plumtartt and their furry pack family.

Connect with Ichabod


Website  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads 

Thank you for joining us today!

How did you get started writing, and why did you want to write?
I have been involved with 'sports entertainment' for many years. The physicality of this profession led me to landing a spot on an independent film doing stuntwork. The film is a sweeping no budget epic. The genre was something I had never heard of before, 'Steampunk'. After I got to do so many fun and amazing things in conjunction with this indie film project, I felt that it behooved me to look into this return to science fiction's roots. I was pointed towards a facebook-like site called 'The Steampunk Empire”. Here, folks are encouraged to develop a backstory and character for themselves. This sort of woke up a dormant imp that had been lying in wait within me. I have not been able to stop writing since.

What made you decide to go the "indie" route?
Kindle makes it easy. My style is a little quirky and I might have a difficult time getting picked up by a traditional publisher. As it is, I do not have anyone playing around with my stories or beautiful covers.

Tell us about the books you have available now, and about those that you're working on.
I have two novels on Kindle. These are a part of the series 'The Adventures of Ichabod Temperance'. They are standalone adventures, but with the ongoing story arc of the relationship between the two main protagonists. When pitching the books to reviewers, I describe them as 'Steampunk, paranormal, happily ever after, action/romances told in a humorous fashion'. There is no graphic sex or violence, though there is a lot of monster fighting. The novels contain no strong language, and mild innuendo, but without being vulgar.

Of the stories you have out now, which is your favorite? Do you have a favorite scene or character that stands out?
I employ my friends in my novels. I find it much easier to bring a character to life if it is someone I already know. I just go ahead an make an idealized version of them. It is easy to make my friends from sports entertainment into horrible monsters. It is fun to put my friends into terrible predicaments and then find an outrageous solution to the quandary. I love all my friends and their portrayals, but there is a poignant moment in my first novel where my character has to dig down and gain some courage. The weakest scene in the book became the strongest. I tear up in a good way whenever I read it.

What would you like to tell your readers? What would you like to say to potential readers?
When I started, I tried to write the way I thought I was supposed to write. I soon found that I was not comfortable with violence, not towards people or animals. So as the books go along, they become less and less violent. I also realized that I wanted to bring an element of humor to the books. If I could speak to potential readers, I would say that my books are safe from unnecessary gore and will hopefully make you feel good.

There are many, many indie books and authors out there right now. How do you work to stand out?
I think that humor and charm separate my books from others. I do not try to shock my readers, but instead, I will tease, and play along with them. I think that the characters who come to life in these books are wonderfully charming and my readers will find them so also.

I am also very thrilled with my book covers! They are old-fashioned looking in appearance, which works well with the Steampunk genre. In my opinion, they stand out in this age of shock value.

What's your favorite part about being an author (both as writer and publishing books), and what's your least favorite part?
It is so very gratifying to produce something that will last forever! If an anvil fell on my head right now, the books would survive and folks would still be reading and enjoying them. I am not sure if I have a 'least' favorite part. It is difficult to promote and market myself and my books. I guess that would be the down side.

Any parting words?
Yes! Thank you Bella, The Masquerade Crew, and everyone else that is so fantastically supportive of indie books and writing. Thank you, the reading public, for supporting indies. Thank you Amazon for providing this format that allows little ol' me to write books!


Thank you, Ichabod!
Bella