She specializes in cupcakes and pies. MEET @RebekahPierce, Our New Crew Member


Buffer

Tell everyone a little bit about yourself.
My name is Rebekah Lynn Pierce, and I am a veteran, author, playwright, motivational speaker, editor and former college English teacher. I have three degrees: an Associates, Bachelors and Masters. I’ve been married for 14 years and have two children: 11 and 3 (don’t ask!); we live in Richmond, VA, but I am originally from Stockton, California. I love to read mysteries, the classics and other great works of fiction. Writing is a HUGE part of my life; it’s my greatest gift. I am a storyteller across genres, and I feel so blessed to have been chosen to be such. It’s important to me that no matter what I write, it empowers and inspires the reader in some way to be the best they can be and to live their life on purpose.


Who are some of your favorite authors? Books?
I am a huge fan of and grew up reading Agatha Christie, Dean Koontz & Stephen King. Now, I am deeply influenced in terms of narration and POV by Alexander McCall Smith’s “No.1 Ladies’ Detective Agency” series. With regards to humor and gum shoe detective stories, I absolutely love the style of Janet Evanovich and her “Stephanie Plum” series. And for classic mystery/detective, it has to be Walter Mosley’s “Easy Rawlins” series.

What are your favorite genres of books to read?
I love mystery/suspense/thriller novels. Women’s fiction is interesting to me, although not necessarily chick lit. I am more interested in fiction like the old classics and new classics – Kate Chopin, Mary Shelley, Judy Blume, Toni Morrison and Terry McMillan. I am slowly coming to appreciate and respect sci-fi. I read Octavia Butler’s Kindred a few years ago for a course I was teaching and have since truly come to appreciate the craft of writers in the sci-fi/fantasy genre. They have powerful imaginations and skill. 

Besides reading, what other talents or hobbies do you have?
I am a playwright and novelist. I’ve won several awards for my works of drama. I write mystery novels; in fact, I have two series: The Sy Sanford Series (Murder on Second Street: The Jackson Ward Murders) now available on Goodreads and Amazon.com and the Bobbie Vale Series (Sex, Lies & Shoeboxes), which will be released in winter 2013. I am also a FABULOUS baker, specializing in cupcakes and pies. Yeah!

How excited are you to be a part of the Masquerade Crew?
I am very excited about being a part of the Masquerade Crew because I love to read great works and support great writers. I have taught English Literature for over 14 years, but mostly the classics, so it will be pretty cool to read more contemporary fiction. I’m looking forward to seeing if things have changed in terms of social topics and even structure/voice of writers and their works today.

Great writers? We've got those! Welcome to the Crew, Rebekah!