Looking for Beta Readers for our Time Travel Anthology

Buffer

For those of you who haven't heard, we are putting together an anthology of short stories to be published on Amazon as an e-book. The theme of the anthology is time travel, specifically the following prompt:

In the spirit of H.G. Well's "The Time Machine," one character or a group of characters travel many years into the future. What do they find there? Are they able to come back home, or are they trapped? What has become of mankind? Is life better or worse? What's the political climate? The real climate? (IOW mother nature) The choices are up to you.

Later, I added the following to the prompt for clarity.

Although your piece can be a character driven story, the prompt was designed to go beyond your characters. What they find in the future should have a larger component that goes beyond their story line, something that affects mankind in general or the planet, as was the case in The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. It gives you a chance to explore society a bit and how your characters react to the changes they witness. Because of this, I suggest the trip to the future be many years into the future, more than likely beyond the lifetime of your characters.

Updates


Several have asked me about the progress of the anthology. I've answered a few but haven't had time to personally answer each person. For that I am sorry. My lack of a response in some cases mirrors what's happening with the anthology in general. With everything going on in my own life, not to mention all the normal online activities associated with this blog, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. But have no fear. The anthology is still happening.

The response was better than I expected (almost 30 entries), so it's going to be a little difficult to decide where each story falls. My long term goal is to reject as little as possible. I don't want to be the standard publisher whose only looking for the next big thing. If an author can work with me, I can work with him or her.

But I need some help. If you would like to beta read for us, I'd be happy to send you a story. There's two things I'm looking for.

  1. Does the story follow the above prompt?
  2. How much does the story need edited?
You don't have to be an editor to answer the second question, but the more you know about editing and revising ... the better. In order to speed things along, we will probably pick stories that are ready to go to final editing. The stories that need more editing than others may be chosen for a second anthology. Remember, I don't want to reject any if I can help it.

So, if you are interested in beta reading, send me an email.

msl_007@live.com


Although the current plan doesn't include beta readers earning money from royalties, I will help you if you help me. I'd be happy to promote a book or anything else that fits into what we do here at the crew. Also, there will be a few to earn royalties from editing, so if you think you fit this criteria, let me know. My long term goal includes lots of publishing, so even if you don't help me out with editing this anthology, there will be more projects in the future. (Hopefully)