Interview with @PeteAbela — author of "Wings"

Name of Book:  Wings
Genre:  Historical Fiction
Author Name: Pete Abela
Website: HERE
Twitter: @PeteAbela
Facebook: HERE

"Wings" tells the story of Walt and his grandson Scott, who both have a fierce longing to fly albeit in vastly different circumstances. Walt - who grew up in the depression - found out first hand that becoming a pilot takes sacrifice and tenacity. When World War II broke out he pestered the RAF for eighteen months before they finally accepted him. Scott spent his childhood listening to tales of his Grandfather's aerial exploits and developed an intense craving to be a pilot. However, the number of people wanting to be a pilot vastly outweighs the limited opportunities on offer.

“Wings" weaves together two tales: one set in war-torn northern England, and the other set in the modern-day Illawarra region of New South Wales. As Scott progresses, his grandfather declines – Walt loses his wife, his sight and his hearing – but throughout these difficulties is still there to offer support and encouragement. With insights into the modern aviation scene and life in the Royal Air Force of World War II, this is a must for anyone who has an interest in history, aviation or simply an old fashioned love story.

1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’m an author from the city of Wollongong, just south of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia. For most of my adult life, I’ve been a left-brained computer scientist whose love of reading eventually led me to take up writing. Having surprised myself and those around me by getting Wings published, I’m now having fun dreaming up marketing strategies and publicity stunts – tasks I never could have envisaged doing ten years ago. I continue to stretch the boundaries of my right hemisphere and am now working to complete a second novel. My left brain hasn’t been totally neglected through this process. I work as an IT Manager in order to help keep my wife and four kids fed and clothed. When I’m not working, reading, writing or enjoying the company of my family, I like to sneak away for a bit of exercise – either tennis, soccer or a laborious run.

2. When and why did you begin writing?

My writing journey began when I commenced a journal around ten years ago. I found it a useful and therapeutic practice which helped me make sense of day to day life and get a sense of perspective. I found it amazing when I read over my journal to see the things I’d been worried about six months ago. In most instances these “problems” had simply vanished.

I found that I enjoyed the process of writing, so I progressed from journaling to an autobiographical account of my late teens and early twenties. It hasn’t been published, and it’s unlikely that it ever will be.

When I finished that, I started thinking about what else I could write. Wings is the result.

3. What inspired you to write Wings?

Although Wings is a novel, I did draw inspiration from two men I greatly admire. The first is my grandfather who was a fighter pilot during World War II; the other is my younger brother who is a commercial pilot with a major Australian airline.

I consider them both to have lived through fascinating, unusual and difficult circumstances and I thought I could draw on and extend some of their experiences as the basis for this novel.

4. What does your significant other and family think of your writing career?

Given Wings is my first book, everyone is watching with great interest. No-one quite knows what to expect. Everyone is pleased that I have achieved my goal of being published and they offer me plenty of support – whether practical or simply giving me the space to do my thing.

My eldest son is now seventeen and he is quite intrigued to see the production side of the process – the editing, marketing and publicity. My youngest son is eight months old. He regularly vomits whenever the subject of writing is raised, but given he vomits at many other times during the day, I’m trying not to take it too personally.

5. What is your favorite part of your book? Why?

I really enjoyed writing the story of Walt’s wedding. He was given a 48 hour leave pass to get married, although more than a quarter of the time would be spent travelling. Heavy snow held up the train and it began to look as if he would not make it home. Given Walt was about to be posted overseas for twelve months, these few hours with his sweetheart were very important.

I enjoyed this because of the contrast between the situation faced by Walt and the relative luxury and freedom we enjoy today.

6. Are you similar to your book characters, always doing whatever you can to make your dreams come true?

In many ways, yes. One of my dreams was to become an author so I’m very pleased that Wings has been published. That has been a dream for a number of years. More generally, I’m interested in goals and dreams, the best way to decide which dreams to chase, and the best techniques to pursue them. I often write about this at my blog (http://blog.peteabela.com).



A little about Pete


Pete is an author from the city of Wollongong, just south of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia. For most of his adult life, Pete has been a left-brained computer scientist whose love of reading eventually led him to take up writing. Having surprised himself and those around him by getting Wings published, he’s now having fun dreaming up marketing strategies and publicity stunts – tasks he never could have envisaged doing ten years ago. He continues to stretch the boundaries of his right hemisphere and is now working to complete a second novel.

His left brain hasn’t been totally neglected through this process. Pete works as an IT Manager in order to help keep his wife and four kids fed and clothed. When he’s not working, reading, writing or enjoying the company of his family, Pete likes to sneak away for a bit of exercise – either tennis, soccer or a laborious run.

Website: HERE
Twitter: @PeteAbela
Facebook: HERE