Indie Interview: @KimDalferes, author of I Was In Love With a Short Man Once



Buffer 
Conversations with authors and writers from the self-publishing world.


Meet Kim Dalferes
Genre: Chick Lit
Best Known for: I Was In Love With a Short Man Once

Kimberly “Kimba” J. Dalferes is a native Floridian, but currently pretends to be a Virginian. I Was In Love With a Short Man Once is her first book. She is working on the sequel, tentatively titled Magic Fishing Panties. Her accomplishments have included successfully threading a sewing bobbin, landing a 35 pound Alaskan King salmon, and scoring a ceramic sangria pitcher at an estate sale for $1. A proud Florida State University graduate, she often sings the Seminole fight song out loud for no reason other than she still knows all the words. Kimba currently divides her life between Fairfax and Smith Mountain Lake, accompanied by her husband Greg, dog Taz, Bonz the cat, and occasionally her son Jimmy - when he is home from college. She can often be found hanging on in The Middle-Aged Cheap Seats.


Connect with Kim

Website  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads  


How did you get started writing, and why did you want to write?
My publications, until most recently, focused on criminal and juvenile justice issues. Topics have included girls in the juvenile justice system, disproportionate minority confinement, community safety and mobilization, and high visibility traffic enforcement. While at the National Crime Prevention Council my responsibilities included the publication of the annual report Mobilizing the Nation to Prevent Crime, Violence and Substance Abuse. I recently served as the Editor of the Rural Meth Debrief, the monthly publication of the Rural Law Enforcement Meth Initiative.
In 2010 I began to pursue a lifelong dream of writing and publishing essays that center upon my personal experiences, including growing up as a child of limited means in South Florida; managing a self-financed college education; balancing work as a federal official with the joys of single motherhood; and navigating the amusing challenges of being a second-time-around wife.
My first published essay, Rubberbands, was featured in Marco Polo Quarterly (now renamed Marco Polo Arts Magazine). This was followed by the publication of Trivial Pursuits by Hippocampus Magazine. Both Rubberbands and Trivial Pursuits are included in my first book I Was In Love With A Short Man Once which was published in November 2011. My essay Exposed Temptations was selected as a winner of the 2013 Virginia Writers Club Summer Shorts Competition, and my essay Nutter House is featured in the anthology Voices From Smith Mountain Lake (October 2013).

What made you decide to go the "indie" route?
Traditional publishing is very difficult to break into, especially for someone who writes non-fiction. I’m not famous and I’ve never slept with someone famous – two of the biggest hooks for the non-fiction memoir crowd. Going indie, especially for the first book, seemed the best option. I may continue to go indie; it all depends on karma, the universe, and the luck of my fuzzy bunny slippers. As you can see, it’s an exact science.

Tell us about the books you have available now, and about those that you're working on.
I’m currently working on the sequel to I Was In Love With A Short Man Once, tentatively titled: Magic Fishing Panties. This new nonfiction story collection continues to share my crazy southern Irish gal tales from the perspective of a newly inducted member of “Club 50.” Nutter House and Exposed Temptations will both be included in this second book.

Of the stories you have out now, which is your favorite? Do you have a favorite scene or character that stands out?
I am very partial to a story in my first book entitled Naked In a Hot Tub In Vegas. Any of my stories that involve my gal pals are always a fun write and I hope a fun read. In my second book there’s a story entitled Once Again Naked, In Public. I’m pretty sure that one is going to be a crowd pleaser.

What would you like to tell your readers? What would you like to say to potential readers?
There are few challenges in life that cannot be resolved through a good pedicure, a shot of tequila, some chocolate, and a good laugh with your gal pals (not necessarily in that order).

There are many, many indie books and authors out there right now. How do you work to stand out?
For the past two years I’ve been hanging out in The Middle-Aged Cheap Seats, my blog where I share musings about what it’s like to live in the middle. Topics are varied and have included left-handedness, skin cancer, sending your kids off to college, and fishing in Alaska. I wouldn’t say I work to stand out, rather, I work to connect with my audience. I truly enjoy the interactions with all kinds of people who follow my writing.

What's your favorite part about being an author (both as writer and publishing books), and what's your least favorite part?
I like to find humor in everyday situations: cleaning out a garage; riding the subway; or walking the dog. As a writer I hope I convey through my stories that life is funny – often messy and complicated – if you take the time to watch and laugh. However, writing can also be very isolating if you’re not careful. I have to make a conscience decision to get out of the house and interact with friends and clients so I don’t go too stir crazy.

Any parting words?
Kate Hepburn once said “Never complain, never explain”. I love the sentiment – live your life the way you want to live it, own it, and never feel that you have to justify your decisions. Oh, and own at least one red coat – put on a red coat and a pair of black boots and you can rule the world.


Thank you, Kim!
Bella