Utopian Estates: A Next You Universe Novel by @AngusHDay #scifi #atozchallenge #excerpt


Utopian Estates

A Next You Universe Novel


by Angus H. Day





Cover links to Amazon


The Martian Dream is to have your own home, work a nice steady job and raise 1.2 well behaved offspring. Fiona and Ashley feel well on their way to accomplishing this when they make a down payment on their new home. The dream state descends from there. Just add water and alien shenanigans will commence leading to an adventure of Extra-Solar dimensions. Don't forget to pay the Homeowner's Association fee as learn about the options in Utopian Estates, a Next You novel.

Praise for Utopian Estates

The writing style was light and breezy and easy to follow, while the story remained engrossing.

If you like the less dense and more idea-oriented prose of classic SF, you'll love this book. A very fast and fun read.


Excerpt

The waiting room looked like the outer area of any number of business offices that you could find in an Earth domed city. Rich synthetic wood paneling, plush chairs not too comfortable but speaking of success, a trio of receptionists dealing with messages and appointment schedules. Looking out of the only window at the reddish Martian landscape was the only indicator that this was not earth. People even dressed in the latest earth fashions, though they all carried an emergency exposure suit rolled up to the size of a prescription pill container.

Fiona was fidgeting with her earring drive, which contained (among other things) a copy of her under-experienced resume. Having just graduated from a business program in Auckland Dome, she had immigrated to Mars with no offer of employment. She had the portion of her parent’s estate that would last her for most of a year if she couldn't find work, but this was only her third day on planet, and her second interview. A well-proportioned woman with stunning red hair and soul-probing blue eyes called to her from the receptionist's desk. "You’re new to mars aren't you."

"How can you tell?"

"Most Marsies would have gotten up and left by now. What is your name again?"

"Fiona Ellyssa McIntire. Should I leave? Has the job been filled?"

"My name is Morgaine Rush. I'm Mr. Rockman's executive assistant. The job you came for was the...near surface rental business development position. That has been eliminated because Mr. Rockman sold off that division to Phobos Closet Corporation this morning."

"I see. Thanks for letting me know. Have a nice day."

"That's it then? Not interested in any other opportunities? This one's gone, might as well go on home eh?"

"Miss Rush, I came here to apply for the only job I knew to be here, and you've told me it doesn't exist anymore. Is there another job I might apply for here?"

"We do have a job that has just opened up, but you have to be looking for a home. Have you acquired living space yet?"

"No miss, I have a room at the Hyatt. What is the job?"

"Miss McIntire, I have to report to Mr. Rockman. If you would retake your seat, I believe he will see you in about five minutes."

"Yes Miss Rush." Fiona sat back down.

Fifteen minutes late, Fiona was at the end of her patience; having decided that working here, she would just be tormented by the receptionist who seemed extraordinarily delighted in her discomfort. She was rising and preparing her attire to leave when a young man approached her. "Excuse me, are you Fiona McIntire?"

"I am, and if you are here to stall me from leaving, I'm afraid that I have made up my mind. It really is rude to keep job applicants waiting all day for the chance at an interview. You can tell that Mr. Rockman to start his company policy restructuring right there."

"I don't think that I have to do that."

"You're right, you don't. Good day whoever you are."

The man, who seemed to be in his early twenties, laughed.. "You just told Mr. Rockman what you thought of his policy, why would I need to repeat it to myself? If you really are set on going, then good day to you Miss McIntire. If you still wish to be employed, then follow me. Don't bother with the arguments that you can get a job anywhere. Your Mars visa is only renewable through my company or didn't your placement office point that out?"

Fiona's face blanked in concentration, trying to remember what had been said in the Auckland School office the month before her trip to Mars. It seemed that for the moment, Mr. Rockman held the upper hand.

He stopped abruptly, and Fiona dazedly walked into the back of him. He turned and looked at her with a confused frown. "Miss McIntire, have you met anyone who has transferred?"

"I don't understand the frame of reference Mr. Rockman. How do you mean transferred? Money, jobs, moved residence..."

"Transferred from their body into an avatar."



Author Bio


I live in Fort Collins Colorado with my wife and son. My daughter has embarked on her career as a graphics designer. I've been an Infantryman, Swine Farmer, smattering of other trades and jobs and now I'm a manufacturing pharmaceutical chemist. What aspect of my life that is devoted to fitness favors swimming in open water which means I spend most of the year working out in a pool then hit the lakes when it warms up a bit. My wife Cheryl safety kayaks for me when we manage to make it work.

One day when I was waiting on everybody else in the house to get off of the computer when it hit me. Start doing what I had wanted to do for the last thirty years, write science fiction stories. I've read extensively, experienced way more than a person is entitled to and I am a scientist. That being said, sometimes I just pull them out of my ass. The ability to picture a scene in my head helps, once I stop laughing uncontrollably for no reason.

Connect with the author online