I support more than just independent authors. I support small farmers, organic food.


By tweeting this post, you can earn promotional tweets from me as part of the Amazon Tweet Exchange.
Details here.


This is a bit of a different turn for this site. Usually we blog about books, authors, and the like. However, today this post is about another group of independent-type folks. Call them Indie Farmers. Organic Food!

My family and I are gardening this year. We got the bug because of a post on Facebook. My wife, Sarah, was introduced to the GMO (genetically modified organism) debate. If you are not familiar with it, let me tell you ... it's gaining ground everywhere but especially in the US.


Just like big book publishers want to control what we read (though this is a fight they are beginning to lose), big food companies don't want us to eat anything but their stuff. Oh, they say they are OK with organic food. But when the public wants laws passed to label their genetically modified ingredients, they fight them at every turn, spending millions of dollars each time.

Ordinary people aren't smart enough to make an informed decision. HARDLY! Just like readers are taking a more active role in what is published, so we can have the same effect when it comes to the food we eat.

The money spent to fight labeling was especially true in California. I saw reports saying that big food companies spent $47 million to dissuade the residents of California to pass a labeling law. Before that, public polls were clear...people were in favor of labels.

Don't stop making your food. Just tell us what's in it.

We want to know what we are putting in our bodies ... whether we choose to eat one way or the other. And you'd be surprised what has what in it. We all know to stay away from processed food, though most of us don't. But it's worse than that.

Check out this Change.org petition to learn more ... and have a chance to send big food companies a message.

My Experience with Strawberries

Now, I will never claim to be an expert, but I've received first hand observations how commercial products can differ so much from the stuff we grow in our garden. Take strawberries for instance.

The ones from the stores taste good, no doubt. But the ones we are picking off our plants are so much more tart. The taste is quite different. How much of this is due to different types of strawberries is unknown to me, but I would bet the processing of commercial strawberries have something to do with it.

A farmer/gardening buddy of mine told me that the large size strawberries we buy in the stores don't occur in nature. That is accomplished by some commercial process. More research is needed on my part.

Check out this blog post to see the difference in size from store bought strawberries and their homegrown brethren.

Also, let me know if you'd like me 
to blog more about this subject: 
gardening, the food debate, and the like.