MEET Lyn AKA @ManicScribbler, Our New Crew Member

Buffer

Tell everyone a little bit about yourself.
I'm a former English teacher, which automatically makes me an avid reader! I gave up teaching a couple of years ago to focus on my writing, so when I'm not writing, I'm reading and they're two of the best things in life.

Who are some of your favorite authors? Books?
Too many to list. I love the classics, of course, having been brought up on them and studied them intensively at university. Jane Austen and the Brontes are cosy favourites but when it comes to modern writers, I really enjoy Ian McEwan and Audrey Niffenegger but I'm discovering new favourites every single day and lots of these are indie writers.

What are your favorite genres of books to read?
I have to say women's fiction - I know that's a really broad category, but then I do have very broad tastes. I generally like my stories to be rooted in reality but I don't mind the occasional supernatural twist - as long as it doesn't stretch credibility toooooo far. I'm not crazy about vampires and other shape-shifting entities or anything involving extreme violence and nor, I'm afraid, does erotica appeal very much. Generally speaking though, I can appreciate anything that's well-written. I have enormous respect for the English language and it hurts me to see it being abused.

Besides reading, what other talents or hobbies do you have?
Well I do like to write, so when I'm not reading novels I'm usually writing them. When I allow myself to relax, I enjoy films, live theatre and generally chilling out with friends over very good food (I love to cook) and wine, or curling up on the sofa to watch a really great movie.

How excited are you to be a part of the Masquerade Crew?
Totally thrilled! I've been an avid follower for some time so am delighted to be allowed into the inner sanctum as a reviewer.

You don't like vampires?! Who are you? Oh well. Welcome to the Crew, Lyn!