A Dollar Makes a Difference

Buffer
Click the Buffer Button to add this post to your Buffer Account.

A Dollar Makes a Difference

By Melissa McEntee


Right now is my time for fundraising before my shave date of September 9, 2012. You see, I am a St. Baldrick’s Foundation “shavee.” “Shavees” show their support for children battling cancer by having their own heads voluntarily shaved at one of the foundation’s events.


The Before Pic
The children that lose their hair during cancer treatment don’t appear to focus much on the hair loss. What I notice most in the pictures of them are their vibrant smiles because they are happy to be alive. Well, I figure that my baldness will be just another haircut that I either like or dislike, while my smile can say that I’m happy to be alive too… after all, shouldn’t we all wear a smile like that!

Right down to the event date, all volunteers, including the “shavees,” are to share the information about the event and about why they are participating as an effort to inspire others to donate money to the cause. I have chosen two children to honor for this event; Karolyn B., age 7, is my best friend's niece and was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia at age 5; Evan H., age 3 (my youngest son's age), was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia at age 2 and lives on the MS Gulf Coast, which is where I was raised.

One of the reasons I chose to volunteer was that I am a mom. Though I have not met either child that I am honoring, I thought about what it must be like to have a child with cancer and how much I would hope that anyone and everyone would put forth effort to help me save my child from such an awful disease. Thanks to all of the volunteers, promo helpers, and financial donors, A.K.A. Heroes, the St. Baldrick’s Foundation currently “funds more in childhood cancer research grants than any organization except the U.S. government.” (www.stbaldricks.org/about-us/history/)

During this fundraising venture, I have found that many people focus on larger donations and, even more so, the fact that they may not be able to afford those large donations at this time. I am not asking for large donations, though it would be nice. Most people just don’t seem to realize or even think about how much a $1 donation means. The point is that mass donations of just $1 equal a lot of monetary support all together. A dollar really does make a difference!

To show your support in the form of a donation, please go to my page on the St. Baldrick’s website: HERE. Donations can be made by clicking on “MAKE A DONATION” under my picture, or by phone or mail. The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a volunteer-driven, BBB accredited charity. Everyone involved with the foundation greatly appreciates your support! Thank you!