5-star review: How To Blog A Book by @NinaAmir

Buffer
Click the Buffer Button to add this post to your Buffer Account.

How To Blog A Book


Written by Nina Amir


Genre: Non-Fiction


Book Synopsis

How to Blog a Book teaches you how to create a blogged book with a well-honed and uniquely angled subject and targeted posts--and how to build the audience necessary to convince agents and publishers to make your blog into a book. Inside you'll find:
  • Basic information on how to set up your blog and the essential plug-ins and other options necessary to get the most out of each post
  • Steps for writing a book easily from scratch using blog posts
  • Advice on how to write blog posts
  • Tips on gaining visibility and promoting your work both online and off
  • Tools for driving traffic to your blog
  • Information on how to monetize an existing blog into a book or other types of products
  • Profiles with authors who received blog-to-book deals

Author Nina Amir explains how writing a book in cyberspace allows you to get your book written easily, while promoting it and building an author's platform. It's a fun, effective way to start writing, publishing, and promoting a book, one post at a time.

Mark's Rating





Mark's Review


I finished reading this book quite a while ago, so I’ve given myself plenty of time to mull over it. The more I think about what I want to say in this review, the more I like the book. It has so much to offer for every writer out there, especially the non-fiction writer, so much so, in fact, that this review will hardly do it justice.

Because this book was a blog before it was a book, all of the chapters are broken up into easily read sections. This is true for many non-fiction books, but with this book it remains consistent. There’s almost a heading on every page, very few sections stretching over two pages or more. I took advantage of this feature, reading one section before work and another section after work while my car was warming up. When summer came, I found myself reading less. Oops!

The tone is very conversational but professional. I felt like she was talking to me instead of me reading a book. Though she provides plenty of specific details, the general theme of the book is broad—but not as broad as blogging in general. She focuses primarily about writing a non-fiction manuscript through a blog (thus gaining an audience before print/ebook publication). However, many of her tips would be useful to other types of writers, specifically novelists. She even occasionally references these in regards to certain tips. I found, though, that even when she didn’t do this, the tip could easily be applied across the writing spectrum.

There aren’t many negative things to point out (hence the rating), but the nature of the subject has some inherent negatives. This type of book may be current for a long time to come, and one thing I think she did well was stay away from details that are bound to change in the near future. However, this subject has a certain half-life. Pick up a non-fiction book five years after publication, and most of it will be out of date. To some extent that may be true with this book, but because she didn’t include specific details about Wordpress or include diagrams and charts that quickly become outdated, the lifespan of this book will be longer than its competitors.

There are many more good things to say, but I’ll have to save those for blog posts later on. If you follow our blog, I’m sure you’ll see more about Nina in the future. And I not only recommend this book, but the author in general. Read her blog(s), and follow her on Twitter (@NinaAmir)—because I am sure this is not the last we’ve heard of Nina Amir.