"The writing was interesting and the plot, while predictable at points, had my attention." #Kindle #BookReview

Falling


by L C Smith


Genre: Young Adult Romance

Book Synopsis

After the death of her parents in a car accident when Reid South was eleven years old she gained the ability to jump into peoples bodies. Not a single person knows her secret, not her only friend Sara and especially not Keller. The problem is, every time she looks into his eyes, she starts to fall into him.

Bec's Rating





Bec's Review


Falling is one of those teen romance novels where one of the characters has a supernatural trait. The kind of novels that are very in right now. Vampires, werewolves, ghosts, or just teenagers with powers, these novels are popular and all have one thing in common with Falling – what makes the teen supernatural isn’t as important as the romance. The fact that Reid has the ability to ‘fall’ into people and exist inside their bodies isn’t overly important to the plot, beyond others reactions to it and her ability to use it to her advantage. And as far as supernatural abilities go, Reid’s is kind of boring. She can’t control the person she’s inside, she can’t feel what they feel, she can only see and hear what they do and go the places they go. While this would save on air fares it doesn’t really have much practical benefit and is one of the less cool supernatural traits a teenager could have.

Now that we’ve got the supernatural/paranormal stuff out of the way let’s move onto the romance. I didn’t quite feel that the romance between Reid and Keller flowed naturally. Things seemed to move too fast, especially considering Keller technically had a girlfriend, though I should add that this isn’t in a sexual way but rather in a serious way. I didn’t quite buy into the relationship, though I did want them to get together in the end. I guess the way they were spending all their time together so soon and even considering going to the same college seemed too fast to me, but perhaps that is a result of age and knowing the fact that teen romances rarely last. In fact I wonder if I were to read this book as a teenager I would buy into the relationship a lot more?

Despite the fact that Reid’s ability isn’t the coolest or that, for me, the romance didn’t seem completely realistic I did enjoy reading this book. The writing was interesting and the plot, while predictable at points, had my attention. Perhaps my problems with this book have to do with the fact that I am a little over the age demographic of this one, for while I may enjoy reading young adult fiction I have to remember that it is not me the book is written to win over. As such I’d recommend this book for teenagers or teenagers at heart.

Disclaimer: May not be appropriate for young children due to a mature theme.