"It has the polish that you would find in a professionally published book." #Kindle #BookReview

A Soul to Steal


by Rob Blackwell


Genre: Mystery

Book Synopsis

You Are What You Fear.

Something is stalking the citizens of Loudoun County, Va. Is it the return of the notorious serial killer known as Lord Halloween? Or is it something worse—a figure that can cloak itself as your worst nightmare? Kate and Quinn, two community journalists, rush to uncover the truth before a promised bloodbath on Halloween night.

The debut novel from award-winning journalist Rob Blackwell, A Soul to Steal balances suspense, romance, action and the paranormal, building to a gripping and unforgettable conclusion. For readers who enjoy Stephen King, Stephanie Meyer and Jim Butcher, A Soul to Steal is the perfect autumn (or winter) novel.

Bec's Rating





Bec's Review


Now bear in mind that while I like a good crime book, it is not one of my favourite genres. And yet I am always intrigued by supernatural elements in a story. So a crime book with supernatural elements, like this one, is one that I am more likely to pick up than an ordinary crime book. This synopsis of this book had me eager to read it and it did not let me down at all. In fact I find little to fault in this book in my struggle to put it down each night and not stay up in order to read ‘just one more chapter’.

The supernatural themes of this book are not overly heavy, but they do add to and expand the story and have more to do with our protagonists than the serial killer you’re trying to identify. Like a lot of crime books this is a classic ‘whodunit’, where the protagonist and the reader are trying to work out who the murderer is before it’s too late. It comes complete with red herrings and potential suspects, and a twist that I was not suspecting. Let’s just say that all my guesses for the killer were all wrong, and I did not see the true one coming until the main character identified them for me.

This book is self published. I say that not to warn or to put anyone off but just as a mere fact because reading the book itself does not give this fact away. It has the polish that you would find in a professionally published book, and I believe it has the potential to stand up against some of those books. Overall it’s a great read and one you’ll struggle to believe hasn’t been picked up by a publishing house, such is the quality of editing and plot.

Disclaimer: This book is a mystery novel and contains the murders of a serial killer. It is not recommended for children.