When she gets stuck with her writing... Interview with @BabetteJames



We're pleased to introduce

Babette James

Author of

Love Burns





Cover links to Amazon.com


           


Lightening Round


Do you follow your imagination or question it, Follow or Question?

Follow, because I love an adventure.

Black coffee, coffee with cream, or coffee with cream and sugar?

Coffee with cream, but it has to be soymilk these days.

What food would you eat off your lovers body?

Dark chocolate :)


Serious Round


How do you use dialog in your writing?

I love using dialog in my writing. When I'm writing my first draft, that's the part that pours out the easiest. My first draft will be mostly dialog. I'm a pantser, and don't always have much of plan when I first begin, other than "This is how they met and then they lived happily ever after."

Letting the characters interact and tell their own story helps me find my way through and continue the brainstorming. When I get stuck, just letting the character talk helps, even if it feels inane at first or stuff I know will have to be cut later. The important part is getting all they have to say down first, and worry about piecing it all together and editing it later.

What non-writing-related thing have you done or learned that shows up in your work?

I've used a good amount of real-life experience in writing my River Series. I've camped at Lake Mohave, the setting of Love Burns, and I've kayaked on the Colorado River through Black Canyon from the base of the Hoover Dam to Willow Beach. It's a wild, beautiful area.


Wacky Question


If you were stuck on a deserted island with a character from your latest book, who would you want to be with and why?

I would definitely want to have my hero from Love Burns, Dave Knight. An expert fisherman, outdoorsman, and retired Smokejumper, he has all the survival skills necessary for roughing it on a deserted island, plus he has a good sense of humor, which always helps.


Author Bio



Babette James writes sweetly scorching contemporary romance and loves reading nail-biting tales with a satisfying happily ever after. When not dreaming up stories, she enjoys playing with new bread recipes and dabbling with paints. As a teacher, she loves encouraging new readers and writers as they discover their growing abilities. Her class cheers when it’s time for their spelling test! Born in New Jersey and raised in Southern California, she’s had a life-long love of the desert and going down the shore. Babette lives in New Jersey with her wonderfully patient husband and extremely spoiled cats.